Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Ida Marin

I went to California this past weekend to say goodbye to Ida Marin.  Ida was like a second mother to me.  I grew up two doors down from Ida.  Her daughter Annette is one of my closest friends.
I met Ida and Annette when I was three years old.  Looking back at 42 years of friendship I can
honestly say Ida did so much for me and I really can't remember ever doing anything for Ida.  I did write her a letter a while back letting her know the positive impact she had on my life.  I am 
glad I did that as I didn't expect her to die yet.  She has always been there for me and all who knew her.  You could stop by Ida's anytime to visit, talk or get advice.  She would invite you in,
make you a plate of food and ask you how you've been.  She was a great listener, a loving Mother
to her children, and the neighborhood children also.  At times my own Mother would be ill and 
Ida would always say "Marther (she had an accent), Marther how is your Mother"?  I've been
praying for her".   Ida did so much for me I could never mention it all.  She just did kind things
because it was the right thing to do.  I never heard Ida complain.   Ida had a way of highlighting
everything good about you and your life so when you left her you just felt a whole lot better
even if you had been feeling down.  I will never forget the endless supply of oreo's, velveeta cheese, sneeking her oil of olay lotion with Annette, her awesome taco's, how she would have me bend down so she could kiss my cheek, her sitting in her chair everyday to read the Bible,
and all the ways she is and will continue to be a positive influence in my life.  Ida you will be missed but never forgotten.    

4 comments:

lisa said...

Great post. We sure loved spending time with you and were glad you will be back soon. Lisa

Rick and Tarah said...

I am sorry to here about that. That was good of you to go down to california.

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

What a lovely tribute to a woman who meant so much to you! You know she's smiling and wanting you to "stretch" now to reach her cheek in Heaven!?
Have a great week and know you will always have her with you because of your wonderful memories.

McKeon Clan said...

Sounds like Ida rubbed off on you...that's the best kind of legacy to leave...people passing on the goodness you've shown them...YOU are just that kind of person, too! So sorry for your loss!
XOXO